TENS of thousands of people have turned against Real Betis supporters because of a chant that encourages domestic violence.
A video of fans chanting support for striker Ruben Castro went viral after Betis’ match against Ponferrandina on February 8.
Castro is currently facing charges for domestic abuse.
During the game, fans repeatedly chanted: “Ruben Castro! Ruben Castro! It wasn’t your fault. She is a prostitute, you did well.”
The video received 40,000 views in one day before it was removed from YouTube.
The club and the Spanish football league have so far remained silent on the issue, despite the chant being sung two weeks later in another game.
PSOE politician Angeles Alvarez has now added her weight to the discussion.
“It is very sad to hear how Spain is talking about Betis thanks to a bunch of undesirables who damage the image of the club and its fans,” she said.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36