A BRITISH expat has had her purse and €600 stolen in a supermarket scam in Nerja.
Widow Marion Talbot, 64, was robbed in a lift in Mercadona after paying for her shopping on a debit card, with her pin being spotted by the thief.
She was pickpocketed as she backed into the lift with a trolley and two ‘neatly dressed’ men in their mid to late twenties accompanied her.
As she came to leave the lift her way was blocked by one of the men, who bent over to pick up some coins on the floor, and it was then that she believes the other man took her purse.
It was only upon returning home that she found her purse was gone and checking her balance, saw it severely depleted.
“You never think these scams will happen to you but when it does you feel violated,” said Talbot.
“These people target vulnerable women on their own and now I must admit it makes me feel paranoid.”
A spokesman for Mercadona in Nerja confirmed that thieves have been targeting expats.
“Thieves target older foreigners, mainly because they tend to carry more cash – Spaniards aren’t usually worth robbing,” said Mercadona supervisor Salvador Ortega.
Ortega recommended shoppers carry as little cash as possible and be on their guard.
- Property portal Kyero is ‘optimistic’ about the Spanish property market post Brexit vote - 14 Jul, 2016 @ 13:40
- Spain’s ‘original’ eating schedule has stabilising effect - 13 Jul, 2016 @ 13:30
- Restaurant chain La Sala introduces dining in the sky - 10 Jul, 2016 @ 09:30
- Blown away by Tarifa - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:06
- Axarquia town begs for residents to limit water usage while unveiling swimming pool - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 14:03
- Malaga tourism office releases positive message for British tourists and expats after Brexit vote - 9 Jul, 2016 @ 11:45
- Spanish PM Rajoy claims Malaga ‘has a bright, promising future’ - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 19:11
- Tiger kills zookeeper at Benidorm animal park - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 12:00
- Brexit means Spanish expansion for one UK firm - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 11:04
- Michael Gove’s Spanish-based brother in law is worried about his future after Brexit - 8 Jul, 2016 @ 08:25