THE public prosecution service is recommending that Juan Sanchez, the ex-mayor of Casares, receives an 18.5 year prison sentence and a €1.2 million fine.
Sanchez, who was arrested as part of the Majestic money-laundering investigation, is accused of perverting the course of justice, fraud, embezzlement and accepting bribes. Robert Gaspar, 55, and Robert Mani, 54 fled Spain after their scheme to pay Casares Town Hall millions to bypass housing planning laws was uncovered. The laundered money was allegedly supplied by the men through two companies, Majestic Land and Majestic Construction. Sanchez was arrested in May 2012.
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14