SOME three decades and three financial crises have been unable to sink Splash Pools in Mijas.
The company has stayed afloat since opening in 1984, when owner Paul Clueit cleaned pools by day and ran a bar in Fuengirola by night.
Eventually becoming a full time job, he was soon joined by his wife and now co-owner Sammi in 1991, and the business has continued to grow and grow by staying at the forefront of the industry’s technology.
“The last crisis was the worst, but since last October business has increased a lot – and we have happily taken on new staff in the last few weeks,” explains Sammi.
“We are always trying things out and something that has been very successful is salt water chlorinators – the salt is turned into a softer form of chlorine that makes the water much nicer to swim in, it doesn’t smell like normal chlorine and is very good for people with skin problems.”
She adds:: “We are also lucky to have great pool maintenance and construction teams, some have worked for us for over 15 years and the technician is often mistaken for Paul’s son!”
Sammi admits running a family business can be fraught, at times, but they have found their own unique methods to cool down.
Paul escapes by playing the piano and saxophone while Sammi works it out in the gym. They also like spending time travelling, particularly in the Cadiz province.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31