SOME three decades and three financial crises have been unable to sink Splash Pools in Mijas.
The company has stayed afloat since opening in 1984, when owner Paul Clueit cleaned pools by day and ran a bar in Fuengirola by night.
Eventually becoming a full time job, he was soon joined by his wife and now co-owner Sammi in 1991, and the business has continued to grow and grow by staying at the forefront of the industry’s technology.
“The last crisis was the worst, but since last October business has increased a lot – and we have happily taken on new staff in the last few weeks,” explains Sammi.
“We are always trying things out and something that has been very successful is salt water chlorinators – the salt is turned into a softer form of chlorine that makes the water much nicer to swim in, it doesn’t smell like normal chlorine and is very good for people with skin problems.”
She adds:: “We are also lucky to have great pool maintenance and construction teams, some have worked for us for over 15 years and the technician is often mistaken for Paul’s son!”
Sammi admits running a family business can be fraught, at times, but they have found their own unique methods to cool down.
Paul escapes by playing the piano and saxophone while Sammi works it out in the gym. They also like spending time travelling, particularly in the Cadiz province.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14