SALES of Mallorca wines leapt by 21% in 2016, according to new statistics.
Altogether, the 13 bodegas under the Denominación de Origen (D.O.) Pla i Llevant de Mallorca umbrella sold 1,283,400 litres of plonk last year, 220,000 than in 2015.
Reds made up 46% of sales with whites accounting for 37% and 17% rose.
“Last year was climatically good, despite the lack of rain,” said D.O. president Antoni Bennàsar
“The combination of humidity heat and rain favours disease, so for the wine dryness is better.”
Grape production also grew, with 2.4 million kilos, a 16.6% rise since 2015 and one millon more than in 2013.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00