Rosa Arrabal is among 40 local public officials and businessmen who are caught up in the investigation, which has seen €5 million worth of assets seized.
It is alleged the group issued false certificates to companies who contracted them for waste management, which said a landfill site was legal.
The 36,000 square-meter dumping ground, next to the La Miel River within the protected Pinar y Dehesa del Rio Chillar and Sierra de Tejera, Almijara y Alhama natural parks, is thought to be around 15 years old.
Investigators say the dump is a ‘serious danger to the environment and the balance of natural ecosystems, as well as a significant fire risk.’
It has seen uncontrolled fly-tipping for years, featuring many different dangerous construction and demolition waste.
Because the area is home to a rare flora and endangered species, a wildfire could have disastrous effects on the areas biodiversity.
All of the suspects must now appear before a judge.
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06