A MALLORCAN holyman has been appointed number two to the Pope.
Archbishop Luis Ladaria Ferrer of Manacor has been appointed as prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) by Pope Francis.
The Mallorcan has been deputy since 2008 and has taken over the head after Cardinal Müller’s position was not renewed.
The congregation is the oldest among the nine congregations of the Roman Curia, founded to defend the church from heresy.
Today the honoured role is responsible for both spreading the Catholic doctrine and handling key abuse cases.
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42
- Mallorca has a historic number of employees working on the island - 11 Jul, 2018 @ 12:15