A BOOK printed by Spanish Civil War Republicans from bandages and rags has been put on display.
Around 500 copies of España en el corazón. Himno a las glorias del pueblo en la guerra were printed by soldiers in Catalunya’s Montserrat monastery in 1938.
Desperately sort of printing material, the group used the friars’ monastery workshop and worked with bandages, an enemy flag and a Moorish prisoner’s shirt.
Some soldiers fleeing into France took copies with them, but most remained in Catalunya.
Of the five left in existence, one has now been put on display in the Republican minister Juan Negrin’s library.
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14