A BRITISH man who bit off part of a man’s ear in Mallorca has been given a two-year suspended prison sentence.
The 29-year-old threatened to kill his victim after attacking him in a Sant Llorenç des Cardassar bar in 2011.
At around 3am, the Brit was arguing with his girlfriend on Paseo Neptuno when he began hurling insults at the man talking to a restaurant owner at an adjacent table.
The assailant then jumped over a railing before punching his victim and trying to bite his neck.
Following a struggle, the victim grabbed his attacker by the neck, at which point the defendant sunk his teeth into his left ear and said ‘I’m going to kill you’ before running off.
The unnamed victim found part of his ear on the floor following the vicious assault.
While trying to separate the two men, the bar owner was also assaulted and suffered injuries to one of his fingers.
Before fleeing, the accused also broke two chairs and a table in the bar.
Initial attempts to reconstruct the injured man’s ear using the chunk that was bitten off were unsuccessful.
The victim’s wounds took 60 days to heal and he was left suffering with depression and a mood disorder after being attacked.
He later underwent plastic surgery.
The accused was ordered to pay €18,000 compensation to his victim with his two-year sentence suspended for three years.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00