MARBELLA has been awarded the first round of next year’s Davis Cup.
The Spanish Tennis Federation has chosen the Puente Romano hotel along the Costa del Sol hotspot’s so-called Golden Mile.
The event will take place between February 2 and 4.
Puente Romano’s stands will be extended.
It is believed the Spanish players’ opinions were a deciding factor in the decision.
They prefer to play at sea level, where the ball goes slower, hence Marbella proved more popular than its rival for the tie Granada.
The clay court currently has capacity for 2,500 people and will have to be expanded to fit 9,000 spectators. It is a stage that has hosted WTA tournaments and is a favourite training base for Novak Djokovic.
It is not yet known if the Spain and team GB’s biggest players – Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray – will be playing in the cup.
Marbella must pay a fee of €400,000 euros plus VAT, and also deal with organizational costs, mainly the increase of stands to get a higher capacity. The total cost will be around €1 million.
For this it will have the institutional support of the Junta.
The town hall will receive 50% of the money collected from the sale of tickets and season tickets for the three days of competition.
The result of the draw for the first round of the 2018 Davis Cup was announced on September 20, with the match between Spain and Great Britain.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40