BRITS hiring cars in Spain will have their data shared with Spanish police looking for terrorists under new government proposals.
The plans lay out how rental car firms will have to register their customers on a database the government can access.
Under the proposals, checks will be made before the vehicle is released for hire, although more specific details have not yet been released.
Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido announced the plans at a press conference where he said the idea was to ‘identify people who show patterns of behaviour compatible with terrorists’.
News of the planned Spanish crackdown comes after it emerged drivers in Britain would face extra checks when renting cars and vans to ensure they are not extremists.
The Barcelona terrorist attack this summer was carried out by a young man who had rented out a Renault Kangoo van.
The new Spanish law is expected to be in place next year.
Zoido said the measures, part of a package of anti-terror measures including tighter controls on the sale of gas cylinders, were in ‘their concluding stages.’
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26