BRITS hiring cars in Spain will have their data shared with Spanish police looking for terrorists under new government proposals.
The plans lay out how rental car firms will have to register their customers on a database the government can access.
Under the proposals, checks will be made before the vehicle is released for hire, although more specific details have not yet been released.
Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido announced the plans at a press conference where he said the idea was to ‘identify people who show patterns of behaviour compatible with terrorists’.
News of the planned Spanish crackdown comes after it emerged drivers in Britain would face extra checks when renting cars and vans to ensure they are not extremists.
The Barcelona terrorist attack this summer was carried out by a young man who had rented out a Renault Kangoo van.
The new Spanish law is expected to be in place next year.
Zoido said the measures, part of a package of anti-terror measures including tighter controls on the sale of gas cylinders, were in ‘their concluding stages.’
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22