THE Costa del Sol has officially set a new tourism record, new figures have revealed.
The holiday hotspot received 12.5 million international tourists last year, 6.42% than 2016.
It also bucked the trend when it comes to national tourists, receiving 5.1 million last year, 4% more than last year.
The domestic market alone brought €4.3 billion and 52,813 jobs to the Costa del Sol last year.
Overall the region raked in €13.8 billion in 2017, a 9.5% increase on the year before.
The tourism sector employed 8.8% more people than in 2016, with 111,172 finding work last year.
“With these figures there is no doubt that the main international markets are clearly betting on the Costa del Sol,” said Costa del Sol tourism boss Elias Bendodo.
Passengers from the top 20 countries visiting Malaga have also grown, especially Holland and Sweden, which have grown a lot, and also Italy and Denmark, which have seen ‘significant growth’, according to Bendodo..
The president added that 2018 is set to break all records again with an increase in tourism of 2.5% forecast for the first quarter.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14