A BRITISH woman has been found dead in a ditch in southern Spain.
The yet unnamed 39-year-old was located in Los Ramos, near Murcia, on Saturday morning.
The lifeless body, found in an irrigation canal, is believed to have been a victim of a hit-and-run.
Spanish police she was either hit by a car which forced her over the fence and into the canal, or she was thrown into the canal by a hit-and-run driver.
Cops have arrested the owner of a nearby destroyed vehicle which had been burnt out.
The owner has refused to make a statement and has been released pending an ongoing investigation.
A Policia Local spokesman in Murcia said in a tweet: “Yesterday morning the body of a woman has been found by the RM-301 road between Los Ramos and Torreaguera.
“A burnt-out vehicle was found less than a mile away. A link between the two has not been ruled out.”
A local emergency service spokesman said: “Two ambulances were sent to the scene along with local police and Guardia Civil officers. Firefighters were also informed.
“All they could do was confirm the woman, who was approximately 39 years old, was already dead after they reached the scene.”
The woman is believed to be an expat but this has yet to be confirmed by authorities.
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50