THE motive behind Gibraltar’s exhaustive importation of tobacco has been questioned by new figures.
The Rock imported 72 million packs of cigarettes in 2017 despite its meagre population of just 34,000 inhabitants, according to the Spanish Tax Agency.
If all of the tobacco imported went on internal consumption it would mean each Gibraltarian would have to smoke 5.8 packs of cigarettes every day.
In 2017, 4.5 million packs of illegal cigarettes and 70 tonnes of tobacco were seized in Andalucia alone.
This amounted to 54% of illegal cigarette seizures and 63% of illegal tobacco seized in the entire of Spain.
- SLOW TRAVEL: Run down your rev count in Ronda where slow travel is the new mantra - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 09:59
- FILTHY RICH: How the other half live when on holiday in southern Spain, from Saudi Royalty to British prime ministers and American billionaires - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 08:50
- PICTURED: ‘Shark’ spotted near swimmers on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:38
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02