THE Barcelona World Race, which sees crews of two sailing across the world, has been suspended due to political unrest.
It was announced on Thursday that the Cataluyna crisis, which has led thousands of companies relocating their legal headquarters to other parts of Spain, had affected its sponsorship.
“A sporting event of this scale requires significant private sponsorship, which is its only source of funding,” the Barcelona Ocean Sailing Foundation said.
“Political instability has made it difficult to guarantee delivering the event to the standards a round-the-world race deserves.”
The race which occurs every four years, starts and finishes in Barcelona with a stop-over in Sydney – a total of 26,000 nautical miles (48,152 kilometres).
Sponsors of the 2014-15 race included Estrella Damn, Renault and Johnson & Johnson.
- LOCA FOR LOCAL: Fantastic wines can be found in Malaga and Andalucia - 27 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- King of Reggaeton J Balvin coming to Spain’s Costa del Sol - 19 May, 2018 @ 09:39
- More than 7.5 TONNES of hashish seized after Manilva-Estepona smuggling operation busted - 18 May, 2018 @ 15:40
- Spanish student auctioning her virginity has already been offered €250k - 18 May, 2018 @ 14:42
- COMPETITION ALERT: Win return flights to UK with Jet2 - 17 May, 2018 @ 16:18
- Come fly with me – new routes launched from UK to Spain - 16 May, 2018 @ 16:10
- Six towns on the Costa del Sol set to get a boost from European grants - 16 May, 2018 @ 15:35
- Spanish museum set to show controversial exhibition that was cancelled in New York following protests - 13 May, 2018 @ 15:00
- WINE TIME: Cocktails to enjoy in the sunshine (finally!) - 12 May, 2018 @ 14:14
- New TV series based on Spanish Civil War whips up Twitter storm - 12 May, 2018 @ 14:00