A FATHER in Spain has claimed the Madeleine McCann suspect tried to kidnap his five-year-old daughter.
The dad claims the man, who fitted the e-fit sketch of the suspected McCann kidnapper, tried to snatch his daughter from a hotel in Portugal.
Known only as Andres, he claimed to La Voz de Galicia that the alleged kidnapper sneaked into the room where his daughters aged five and 13 were sleeping during a holiday in 2001.
He said he immediately recognised the man when investigators released an e-fit of the McCann suspect in 2013.
He told La Voz de Galicia: “I don’t know if the man kidnapped Madeleine, but for me his is the man who tried to take my daughter.”
It was six years before McCann disappeared from Praia da Luz in May 2007.
McCann, who would be 14 now, has never been found and the case remains open.
She vanished while her parents Kate and Gerry McCann were out having dinner.
Some 17 years ago, Andres and his family were driving through Portugal and ended up staying a night at a small hotel in Abrantes.
According to the father, the man was the only other guest at the hotel that night while his family were split between two rooms.
During the night, his eldest daughter shouted for him to ask if he had just been in their room, which he had not.
He decided to stay with the girls, only for the man to enter the room a few minutes later.
When he confronted him, the mystery man claimed he had ‘come to check on the children’.
The dad added: “Even today I don’t know how he managed to escape me, he slipped away like an eel.”
Andres was interviewed by both Spanish police and Scotland Yard, but says he never heard anything back from either.
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09