ONE of Mariano Rajoy’s police escort team has been killed after his motorbike was hit on Sunday.
A car collided with the policeman and a 32-year-old woman, who was riding pillion, at around 4pm in Madrid.
It is believed the car driver was attempting to avoid another oncoming vehicle at the crossroads of the C/ María de Molina, C/ López de Hoyo and C/ Serrano.
Madrid Municipal Police provided confirmation in a tweet and named the man as Diego Rodríguez.
Both Rodriguez and passenger were pronounced dead at the scene, while the driver is said to have received on-site counselling.
He was not escorting the president at the time of the accident.
- LOCA FOR LOCAL: Fantastic wines can be found in Malaga and Andalucia - 27 May, 2018 @ 11:19
- King of Reggaeton J Balvin coming to Spain’s Costa del Sol - 19 May, 2018 @ 09:39
- More than 7.5 TONNES of hashish seized after Manilva-Estepona smuggling operation busted - 18 May, 2018 @ 15:40
- Spanish student auctioning her virginity has already been offered €250k - 18 May, 2018 @ 14:42
- COMPETITION ALERT: Win return flights to UK with Jet2 - 17 May, 2018 @ 16:18
- Come fly with me – new routes launched from UK to Spain - 16 May, 2018 @ 16:10
- Six towns on the Costa del Sol set to get a boost from European grants - 16 May, 2018 @ 15:35
- Spanish museum set to show controversial exhibition that was cancelled in New York following protests - 13 May, 2018 @ 15:00
- WINE TIME: Cocktails to enjoy in the sunshine (finally!) - 12 May, 2018 @ 14:14
- New TV series based on Spanish Civil War whips up Twitter storm - 12 May, 2018 @ 14:00