A BRITISH expat mother who was found dead on a Marbella beach drowned, an inquest has heard.
Rebecca Muldoon, 35, disappeared from the Costa del Sol on January 2, sparking appeals from her family and friends.
Her lifeless body was found washed up in Marbella on January 14.
An inquest which began today at Essex Coroner’s Court heard how Rebecca, originally from Southend, died due to asphyxia by submersion – commonly known as drowning.
After Rebecca’s body was found, her sister, Sabrina Foakes, said: “Twinx always did right by her children and that’s what she did even until the very end. She was an easy going girl, who everyone loved.
“Everyone has their own memory of her and that will live on.”
Rebecca’s husband, Paul Muldoon, 35, had been arrested the day before her disappearance at their penthouse flat over allegations of domestic abuse.
Neighbours had allegedly heard screaming and arguing coming from the home.
He was later released after his wife failed to attend a hearing to give evidence against him.
Police confirmed Muldoon was still in custody when his wife went missing.
At the inquest today, the coroner’s officer said: “On January 14 a body was found washed up on the beach.
“Police confirmed the body was Rebecca Muldoon by the use of dental records.
“A forensic postmortem carried out in Spain concluded the cause of death was asphyxia by submersion.”
A full inquest will take place on January 29.
Essex Senior Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray requested copies of the postmortem, as well as a copy of Essex Police’s investigation ahead of the full inquest.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18