A BRITISH expat mother who was found dead on a Marbella beach drowned, an inquest has heard.
Rebecca Muldoon, 35, disappeared from the Costa del Sol on January 2, sparking appeals from her family and friends.
Her lifeless body was found washed up in Marbella on January 14.
An inquest which began today at Essex Coroner’s Court heard how Rebecca, originally from Southend, died due to asphyxia by submersion – commonly known as drowning.
After Rebecca’s body was found, her sister, Sabrina Foakes, said: “Twinx always did right by her children and that’s what she did even until the very end. She was an easy going girl, who everyone loved.
“Everyone has their own memory of her and that will live on.”
Rebecca’s husband, Paul Muldoon, 35, had been arrested the day before her disappearance at their penthouse flat over allegations of domestic abuse.
Neighbours had allegedly heard screaming and arguing coming from the home.
He was later released after his wife failed to attend a hearing to give evidence against him.
Police confirmed Muldoon was still in custody when his wife went missing.
At the inquest today, the coroner’s officer said: “On January 14 a body was found washed up on the beach.
“Police confirmed the body was Rebecca Muldoon by the use of dental records.
“A forensic postmortem carried out in Spain concluded the cause of death was asphyxia by submersion.”
A full inquest will take place on January 29.
Essex Senior Coroner Caroline Beasley-Murray requested copies of the postmortem, as well as a copy of Essex Police’s investigation ahead of the full inquest.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52