FUENGIROLA bosses have been slammed over plans to paint all of its beaches in a rainbow of fluorescent colours.
The town hall is considering reversing the project after already painting one of its beaches to much uproar from locals.
Neighbours branded the move as ‘tacky’ and ‘absurd’ after government workers painted several huge rocks on San Fernando beach in various bright colours.
Fuengirola said the paint was totally environmentally-friendly and would not harm people or wildlife and was designed to create ‘something completely different’.
A council spokesman said: “We just wanted to make it look like a giant mosaic.”
The town mayor Ana Mula added: “We thought it looked quite striking!”
Mula revealed the plan was to bring the new rainbow look to all of Fuengirola’s beaches.
Mula said: “It’s an artistic initiative. There are many people who come to walk, to sit on a rock to read a book or just to sunbathe.
“In short, it is an attractive area for our municipality and for all the residents of the city, as well as being one of our best-known points and a hallmark of Fuengirola. “
Following an emergency meeting and a public consultation, the rocks already painted will be returned to normal and the plan seems to have been quickly cancelled.
Francisco Javier Toro, from opposition party Ciudadanos, said: “It’s the most absurd thing I have heard of in a long time.”
He also blasted money being spent to pay ten workmen for two weeks’ work.
He said: “These rocks are part of the cultural and historical heritage of our municipality.
“Spending this public money could be much more beneficial for other areas and tasks that our municipality urgently needs.”
Mayoral candidate Javier García Leon added: “Our tourism model should ‘paint’ more in terms of security, infrastructure and cleanliness.”
- British boy, 5, who drowned near Spain’s Costa del Sol was visiting expat granddad - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:48
- REVEALED: Spain to have ‘warmer than average’ summer with Costa del Sol among hottest areas - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:26
- ‘WE’RE BEING POISONED’: Video of ship billowing black fumes ‘onto people’s homes’ outrages Gibraltar residents - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:43
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38