SPAIN’S first floating two-headed wind turbine has been built in Gran Canaria.
The prototype, dubbed W2Power, is hoped to become the ‘lowest cost solution’ for generating renewable energy in ‘deep water’.
The floating turbine, unveiled at the Astique Shipyard last week, will be dragged 2.5 kilometres out to sea in May where it will undergo tests.
It is a 1:6 scale model, generating just 200kW of power, which will pave the way for massive future turbines generating 10-12MW each.
“The W2Power solution offers greater power generation without the need to increase the use of steel in the construction of the platform, thus becoming the lowest cost floating solution for the generation of wind energy in deep waters,” s spokesperson for EnerOcean said.
If the prototype is successful, the Malaga-based company envisions a 300MW ‘marine wind farm’ generating renewable energy, far enough out at sea to not be an eyesore, by 2025.
- OPINION: Authorities in Alicante must make property developers follow safety rules without harming the promising market - 26 May, 2019 @ 14:15
- OPINION: Accusing a Benidorm bar of a ‘hate crime’ for renting out a midget is political correctness gone mad - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- A PUT-DOWN A DAY: New Spanish book praises ‘therapeutic’ quality of insulting - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:30
- Pablo Escobar’s estranged British-educated son signs ‘extraordinary’ book deal in Mallorca - 25 May, 2019 @ 12:30
- GHOSTA BLANCA: Illegal art exhibition takes over one of Spain’s most haunted buildings - 24 May, 2019 @ 13:49
- Expat pensioners assaulted as luxury apartment block is ‘mobbed’ by squatters on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 24 May, 2019 @ 10:44
- Tourist dies after being hit by bus in Benidorm - 22 May, 2019 @ 01:18
- WATCH: Roads become rivers as hailstorm hits the Costa Blanca - 21 May, 2019 @ 22:41
- ANOTHER British holidaymaker scammed as Spanish villa rental companies use SAME website under different names - 20 May, 2019 @ 15:14
- Benidorm pub SLAMMED for renting out midget - 17 May, 2019 @ 13:29