SPAIN’S first floating two-headed wind turbine has been built in Gran Canaria.
The prototype, dubbed W2Power, is hoped to become the ‘lowest cost solution’ for generating renewable energy in ‘deep water’.
The floating turbine, unveiled at the Astique Shipyard last week, will be dragged 2.5 kilometres out to sea in May where it will undergo tests.
It is a 1:6 scale model, generating just 200kW of power, which will pave the way for massive future turbines generating 10-12MW each.
“The W2Power solution offers greater power generation without the need to increase the use of steel in the construction of the platform, thus becoming the lowest cost floating solution for the generation of wind energy in deep waters,” s spokesperson for EnerOcean said.
If the prototype is successful, the Malaga-based company envisions a 300MW ‘marine wind farm’ generating renewable energy, far enough out at sea to not be an eyesore, by 2025.
- French couple, 80 and 66, injured after paddling pool crashes through terrace floor into garage below on Spain’s Costa Blanca - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 18:12
- OWN MEDICINE: Lawyer arrested in Murcia court after speeding to a trial on a traffic accident - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 12:39
- Instagram sensation in northern Spain turns out to be TOXIC lake - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 10:31
- British holidaymaker, 23, could be ‘permanently paralysed’ after breaking neck on waterslide in Benidorm’s Aqualandia - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 07:59
- British companies accused of charging Spain-bound tourists for medical insurance already covered by EHIC cards - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 15:00
- Residents on Costa Blanca mountainside who cut pine branches poking into their windows claim police turned up demanding they obtain ‘a permit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00
- UK Pupils studying foreign languages fall by almost ‘20%’ in last five years as British Council report blames ‘Brexit’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:00
- Coal use falls to ‘historic low’ of just 1.7% in Spain’s electricity mix - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 09:30
- Alicante rapist jailed for 12 years after claiming asylum seeker, 26, could not report him because she was an ‘illegal immigrant’ - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 03:38
- IN PICS: Forest fire escalates on Spain’s Costa Blanca as 45 people are evacuated - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 20:04