AFTER police launched an investigation into an exploding ‘flaming’ cocktail that left three people with third degree burns, it must now be time to reflect on the uncontrolled pace of gentrification in our cities.
When new money floods an area, boosting its social scene, the effect can be dazzling, exciting, but also dangerous.
These three unlucky Palma residents, two of whom are a young couple, are now likely to be left with life-changing injuries.
And all thanks to a fancy €9 cocktail delightfully named ‘Captain Jack Sparrow’, which the bartender sets on fire with flammable super-strength rum.
It is paramount that these ‘Instagenic’ elements of modern nightlife are scrutinised before being unleashed on the public.
As we chase these evermore amazing experiences, local governments and health and safety officers need to implement tighter controls.
As these outlandish activities become more common, let’s think before we act.
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Fabian Picardo meets Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt for Brexit and Iran crunch talks - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:49
- British cyclist Chris Froome awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana after Spanish champion stripped of title over doping - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:08
- Ex-soldier shoots wife dead with rifle from terrace before killing himself outside ex-wife’s home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:22
- IS IT YOURS?: Police in Spain’s Andalucia search for owner of €400 found in hotel - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 11:44
- Over 1 million people in Spain sign petitions supporting euthanasia, to be put before Government on Friday - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 00:00
- Gibraltar Chief Minister Picardo meets outgoing UK Prime Minister Theresa May to discuss Iran crisis and Brexit - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:35
- Blood-soaked man arrested after allegedly stabbing dad to death before taking bus to hotel on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 19:08
- Open date REVEALED for ‘deliberately torched’ Marbella chiringuito originally opened by Eva Longoria - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:28
- REVEALED: 10 new UK to Spain flights run by airline Alba Star announced - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:40
- Rick Astley joins Enrique Iglesias, Take That, Mel C and Liam Gallagher at Gibraltar Calling festival THIS SUMMER - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 13:00