A YOUNG boy who drowned on Spain’s Costa del Sol this morning was British, police have revealed.
The child, 5, who was initially believed to be aged two, was visiting his expat grandfather with his family in La Vinuela.
The tragic incident happened at around 10am.
A source at a medical emergency response co-ordination centre told the Sun: “A call was received at 10am saying a child had fallen into a swimming pool and had been pulled out but was unconscious.
“The incident happened in an area of La Vinuela called Los Romanes.
“The Civil Guard, the local police and ambulance service were alerted.
“An air ambulance was sent to the scene along with a normal ambulance but we were later informed the boy had died. The local police said he was four.”
A Guardia Civil spokesman told the Olive Press today: “I can confirm that a five-year-old has died from drowning in the municipality of La Vinuela.
“There is nothing else to report at this moment in time other than that a routine investigation has been opened to determine the facts.”
He could not confirm or deny if the death occurred at the house of the boy’s grandfather.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31