WITH stunning views across emblematic Vinuela lake and up towards the formidable peak of Mount Maroma, Hotel Vinuela is one of the most scenic places to stay in Andalucia.
With stylish bedrooms, an amazing restaurant and peaceful grounds, it is hardly surprising that it already the stand out place to stay in the Axarquia.
Now 20 years old, this four-star spot has the region’s most exclusive spa and massage centre.
Set in the hotel’s grounds with views across the lake, the Mei Wellness & Spa is a new concept in exclusive well-being therapy.
Perfect for individuals or for couples, the spa – which counts on a jacuzzi, sauna and hammam – is rented out privately by the hour.
“You will experience feelings of complete serenity and harmony: a unique and unparalleled experience that you will never forget,” promises hotel manager Maria Herrero, of the B Bou chain.
The company has also recently taken over another amazing hotel Cortijo Bravo nearer the coast.
This wonderful place was once one of the homes of the Larios family, who grew sugar cane for their rum factories along the coast.
The converted mansion is style personified and each room offers lovely views inland towards the mountains or along the coast.
Now a boutique hotel, many of its 21 rooms count on four poster beds and balconies.
In Nerja you are spoilt for choice for good places to stay. In pole position is Hotel Toboso, which couldn’t be in a better location in the heart of town by the emblematic Balcon de Europa.
The rooms are fantastic in size and you are right next to the excellent Cochrane’s Irish restaurant and bar, which is good for a local meal and has the best terrace in Nerja.
You might also check out Hotel Carabeo in one of the best parts of the town.
Looking to stay in a charming inland village, look no further than Meson Mudejar, in Archez.
Recently taken over by a charming Polish couple, it is a sleepy spot with simple, clean rooms, that sit above the vegan restaurant downstairs.
It’s good value and you can head out for a range of walks from the door as well as enjoy experiencing the typical Axarquia life.
Along the Costa Tropical perhaps the best place to stay is the recently renovated Hotel Miba, in Salobrena.
This wonderful eight-room hotel, recently taken over by the team at Villas Colores, perches on an escarpment overlooking Salobrena town.
Every inch of this modern hotel maximises on the incredible views, be it across to the breathtaking nearby town, which soars up like a wedding cake from stage left, or stage right to the snow-capped Sierra Nevada mountains.
The rooms are spacious and each have their own private terrace.
It also has an excellent restaurant and rooftop bar and swimming pool with stunning views up the coast. This is a great place for an evening cocktail
Up in Motril look out for Casa de los Bates, which is an amazing 19th century Italianate mansion, with sumptuous bedrooms and well appointed dining and sitting rooms.
The places oozes history and the family home, now owned by two charming brothers Borja and Inaki, is full of antiques and photos of its illustrious guests, which have included Nelson Mandela and the King of Spain.
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14