BEFORE you know it, autumn will be here. What better way to welcome the season than a trip to see some of Spain’s most beautiful autumnal locations.
Here are twelve places in Spain to see gorgeous autumn colours:
- Take a trip up north to visit the Basque Country and walk around Gorbea Natural Park. The Otzarreta Forest found here is a particularly lovely spot to see scarlet leaves at this time of year.
- Madrid’s famous Retiro Park is a wonderful place to take a walk and soak in the autumn sights or enjoy a mellow paddle around the lake on a boat.
- Stop by Spain’s famous wine-making region of La Rioja in the north to catch a glimpse at the beautiful orange leaves throughout their vineyard’s and take a sip of some delicious vino.
- The mountains of Avila in central western Spain, are home to Castañar de el Tiemblo. Visitors can enjoy beautiful walks and picnics amongst the multi-coloured foliage.
- The Montseny Natural Park in Catalonia is located in northeastern Spain and is just an hour outside Barcelona. It was declared a Biosphere Reserve by Unesco in 1978 due to its rich ecology and holds the title of the oldest natural park in Catalonia. Home to plant communities from 3 different European biomes, this is a unique destination.
- The Sierra de aracena natural park found in andalusia is a protected area in the Sierra de Aracena range, explore the forest and walk upon the magical carpet of red and orange leaves below your feet.
- The city of Huesca is home to much of the Aragonese Pyrenees here, people can come upon the Ordesa and Monte Perdido National Park. Home to a plethora of trees with amber foliage and lots of wildlife such as boar, alpine marmots, golden eagles and bearded vultures
- In Jaen, visit Sierra de Cazorla, Segura and Las Villas Nature Reserve, this is the largest protected area in Spain and was declared a biosphere reserve by UNESCO in 1983, it is also a great space for bird-watching as it was named a Special Protection Area for migratory birds in 1988. There are also some spectacular limestone rock formations to see at Los Anguijones Caves too.
- North-western las medulas is a delightful mix of history as well as beautiful autumnal forest. It has been listed by UNESCO as a World heritage site and was the most important gold mine, as well as the largest open-pit gold mine, in the entire Roman Empire. Nestled between Galicia and Castilla y Leon, this site is not to be missed.
- Delve into Extremadura to happen upon the Jerte Valley which is found in the Garganta de los Infiernos. This destination that is well-known for its spring cherry blossoms is even more spectacular in the autumn. Chestnut trees turn yellow, oak trees turn ochre, and the cherry trees become a gradient of yellow to red.
- The Irati Forest in Navarre, and its autumn leaves offers a varied flora and fauna. The woodland is a habitat for many different birds including ; goldcrests, chaffinches, robins, black woodpeckers, and white-backed woodpeckers.
- Finally in Asturias, the Muniellos forest which is known as the best-preserved common oak forest in Spain turns a wonderful autumnal hue at this time of year. For those wanting to see some amazing animals, Cantabrian brown bears can be spotted here too.
- Looking for an adventure? Here are 12 epic walks to take in Spain
- HIDDEN GEMS: Ten of the most unusual museums in Spain
- Ten very good reasons to make Extremadura your next travel destination in Spain