FOOTBALL boss Terry Venables has scored an own goal after his plans to build a luxury sports leisure complex were dubbed a “crime against nature”.
The former England supremo came under fire from green campaigners and locals after receiving planning permission for a 500m euro resort on the Costa Blanca.
“This project would be a disaster for the area.”
It boasts 13 football pitches, 12 tennis courts, a golf course, horse riding and sports facilities as well as a 95-room hotel alongside 300 villas.
Planned for the sleepy village of Penaguila, environmental group Ecologistas en Accion claimed the scheme would “destroy farmland and scar the landscape”.
Spokeswoman Julia Molto said: “This project would be a disaster for the area.”
Villager and town hall member Henrique Llorens, 62, complained: “Building it here would be a crime against nature.”
But the charismatic coach – nickamed ‘El Tel’ after his stint as Barcelona manager in the 1980s – hit back following the criticism.
“It is ironic that it is being criticised by green campaigners when it is going to be eco-friendly and sustainable,” he countered.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00