THE mayor of Gaucin has stepped down amid mounting speculation about his personal life.
Francisco Ruiz is the third mayor in four years to stand down.
It follows the PP mayor’s mysterious “disappearance” in April, after which he announced he would resign.
Spanish reports claim it came after the suicide of a friend, in connection with his relationship with a female socialist councillor.
He had hired the woman just one month after coming to office.
Despite having only 2000 inhabitants the white village has proved a magnet for controversy and scandal over the years.
The Olive Press reported last year how Ruiz has threatened to close the town hall which was on the brink of bankruptcy.
For an in depth feature on the shenanigans visit:
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00