- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Spain’s trains speed ahead
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
SPAIN will overtake France as Europe’s high-speed rail superpower following the looming launch of the Madrid-Valencia AVE line.
The line, due to open on December 18, will increase Spain’s high-speed network to 2,000 kilometres, putting it behind only China and Japan globally.
France has 1,900 kilometres and Germany 1,300. UK is well behind with a petty 108 kilometres.
According to consultancy Accenture the six billion euro Madrid-Valencia line will create 136,000 jobs.
Critics, however, are saying the project’s cost is unjustified in the current economic climate.
From 2012 Andalucian residents will be able to travel on AVE all the way to France and onwards across Europe but plans to extend the network to Portugal have been shelved.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]