PRICE wars are pushing Andalucian olive oil sellers to resort to fraud, a new investigation reveals.
The Junta’s health department took samples of 25 of ‘extra virgin’ oil bottles on sale in the main olive producing region of Jaen and found 14 of them to be of inferior quality.
Some of the oil turned out to be the lower quality ‘virgin’ blend; other products were of even lower grade.
The health department is blaming cut-throat price competition among retailers for diluting the olive oil quality.
Ongoing weakness of Spanish consumer demand is making competition pressures even more acute.
“There are firms that market ‘extra virgin oil’ for a price that just can’t be competitive, as the cost of producing such a product would be above the final price tag,” said the Junta’s health secretary Maria Jesus Montero.
She has not named the shops under suspicion.
In February, supermarket giant Alcampo was denounced by the national authorities for labeling its Auchan oil olive brand as extra virgin when it fact it was a refined mixture of oils.
Andalucian agricultural authorities, however, has rejected the latest investigation by the health department.
“The 25 samples are not verified or recognized by anyone,” said the Junta’s agricultural secretary Clara Aguilera. “This is a false alarm that doesn’t in any way correspond to the reality of the Andalucian [olive] sector.”
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00