By James Bryce
THOUSANDS of British students have caused chaos after descending on a Spanish seaside town.
The drunken revellers, from universities across the UK, were in Spain for Saloufest – billed as the ‘biggest student festival in the world’.
The youngsters stirred controversy in Salou, on the Costa Dorada, after partying semi-naked in the streets until the small hours.
The festival, which has been running since 2002, attracts 8,000 students over two, four day legs, staying at seven hotels in Salou reserved for the event.
According to town hall officials there were no major incidents or official complaints, although four students were treated for alcohol problems.
This follows last year’s festival in which a British undergraduate told police she had been raped on a beach.
A British student was subsequently arrested and released on bail before being allowed to return home, although the case is ongoing.
The second leg of Saloufest is due to start next Sunday.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02