- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Spanish expats come up trumps in happiness survey
• Are you a happy expat?
By Eloise Horsfield
SPAIN has the happiest British expats in the world, according to a new study.
A Lloyds TSB International survey quizzed a thousand British residents living abroad about their quality of life.
Over 75 per cent of those living in Spain said that they were happier now than when they resided in the UK, with 80 per cent saying their cost of living was very low – this despite the current economic crisis.
The cost of living as a single factor doesn’t seem to cut it though – with the UAE ranking fourth in happiness despite having the best-off expats.
Analysts pointed at outdoor lifestyle, traditional family values and a ‘living in the moment’ attitude in Spain as possible reasons for the results.
Other countries which fared well on the happiness index were Canada and Germany.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others