- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Rafael Nadal to carry Spanish flag at London Olympics opening ceremony
• Nadal will carry the flag for Spain at the opening ceremony of the Olympic Games
TENNIS star Rafael Nadal has been chosen to carry the flag for the Spanish team at the London Olympics.
The 11-times Grand Slam winner, who clinched the French Open title for a record-breaking seventh time early in June, will lead the team at the opening ceremony on July 27.
“It’s an honour for me to be the carrier of the Spanish flag at the London Olympics,” he said.
“It’s one of the happiest moments of my career, and a recognition of all my achievements and those of our country. Thanks to everyone, best of luck to our Olympic team.”
Nadal is no stranger to the Olympics, having competed in the doubles in Athens in 2004 and won gold in Beijing in 2008.
This year he will be defending the top place in the singles and also competing in the doubles alongside Marcel Granollers.
This year’s tennis events will be held at Wimbledon’s courts from July 28 to August 5.
Reader Comments »
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
Latest news from the Olive Press...
A local police officer accused of killing a woman has been found dead in his prison cell…