A SPANISH female racing driver is fighting for her life after crashing into a lorry during testing for a Formula One team.
Maria de Villota sustained ‘life-threatening’ injuries in the accident, which occurred after she ‘inexplicably accelerated’ into the back of the stationary vehicle at the end of her opening lap.
The 32-year-old was reportedly motionless for 15 minutes while being treated by paramedics at Duxford Airfield in Cambridgeshire, but was seen to move her hands before being transferred to hospital.
Eyewitnesses described how the front of the Marussia F1 car was destroyed in the 40mph crash and that de Villota’s helmet was seen to hit the side of the truck.
Gary Sanderson, spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service, said: “A woman has sustained life-threatening injuries and following treatment at the scene by paramedics, she has ben taken to Addenbrookes hospital for further care.”
A statement from the Marussia team confirmed the incident had occurred at 9.15 this morning and that the collision had involved the team’s support truck.
The Madrid born driver only took up her role as a test driver for the F1 team in April, as reported by the Olive Press.
She had previously spent time testing for rival team Renault and follows in the footsteps of her dad, former F1 driver Emilio de Villota.
The incident comes just days before the British Grand Prix, which takes place at Silverstone this weekend.
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02