EXCLUSIVE by Rund Abdelfatah
A SCOTTISH expat who suffered a heart attack seven months ago is still waiting for the bypass surgery he should have received within days of the attack.
Wynne Donnelly, 66, was rushed to Ronda Hospital in December 2011 after suffering a heart attack. He was later transferred to Malaga’s Virgen de la Victoria Hospital after doctors realised he needed a bypass operation.
Initially, doctors classified the surgery as urgent and planned it for the next two to three days, but Donnelly’s allergy to aspirin postponed the process.
When his condition did not worsen, doctors sent Donnelly home without clarifying when he would receive the operation.
Soon after, he received a letter from the hospital indicating he would have the surgery within six months.
It has now been seven months.
“The hospital still has us on the waiting list,” Donnelly’s wife, Linda, told the Olive Press.
“Aside from a check-up which we requested, the hospital has not been in touch with us.”
Concerned about her husband’s deteriorating situation – characterised by severe fatigue and bouts of intense dizziness– she took him to a general practitioner in Ronda for a professional opinion.
“He told us the hospital is playing Russian roulette with his life,” added Donnelly. “He needs an operation soon.”
When the Olive Press contacted the hospital, a spokesman said: “For most patients awaiting surgery we cannot realistically predict the date of the operation.”
- Maximilian Bartie - 4 Sep, 2012 @ 14:20
- Making a splash around Andalucia - 3 Sep, 2012 @ 14:22
- Andalucia’s open-air cuisine - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 14:04
- Corruption probe over illegal licence for Benalmadena apartment complex - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 10:50
- Classes for parents aim to combat fatigue in children - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 10:48
- Andalucia dubbed a birdwatcher’s paradise - 1 Sep, 2012 @ 09:20
- Meeting the Spanish ‘Robin Hood’ - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 14:00
- Spain turns volume down - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 10:54
- A new look for Spaniard Penelope Cruz - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 09:00
- Worker dies in Benalmadena rubbish accident - 30 Aug, 2012 @ 13:16