- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Property Insider
- Legal Issues
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Loud and Clear
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
Last Brit to fight in Spanish Civil War dies
• David Lomon died earlier this month at the age of 94
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
THE last known British survivor of the Spanish Civil War has died aged 94.
David Lomon, originally from Hackney, in East London, was one of 2,500 brave Brits who volunteered to fight against General Franco’s fascist army during the 1936 to 1939 civil war.
The war hero signed up to the International Brigade in secret in 1936 following a run in with Oswald Mosley’s fascist group, the Blackshirts, at the Battle of Cable Street, which took place just yards from his home.
At the time he was also a member of the Young Communist Party.
After signing up he fought in the battle of Teruel, which claimed 140,000 lives and marked a major turning point in Franco’s eventual victory.
He was captured in 1938 and became a prisoner of war at a camp in San Pedro de Cardenos, near Bruges, enduring brutal beatings and starvation before returning to the UK.
Jim Jump, secretary of the International Brigade Trust, paid tribute to Mr Lomon and said: “He had a conventional life when he returned.
“He was not the type to boast about what he did.
“He was a lovely man; very polite; a classic English gentleman.”
In an attempt to impose a fascist rule in Spain, with the support of Nazi Germany and Italian fascist leader, Benito Mussolini, Francisco Franco waged a bloody war against the government
Although the UK’s official stance was non-intervention thousands of British men signed up to fight, including writers George Orwell and Laurie Lee.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]