A MADRID court is to hear whether a Spanish newspaper libelled Russian entrepreneur Vladimir Kokorev over claims he laundered money for African leader Teodoro Obiang.
The court will decide if El Pais journalist Jose Maria Irujo defamed the Russian in a report in April.
A Moscow court has already ruled that the article was libellous. It claimed that Kokorev and members of his family were involved in a money laundering scheme in Spain for various officials from Obiang’s Equatorial Guinea government.
The scheme involved the purchase of various properties including two in Madrid and one in the Canary Islands.
According to Irujo, the story was based on a report of the Spanish police, which claimed Kokorev laundered “immense amounts of money” derived from political corruption in Equatorial Guinea.
However, the Spanish Ministry of the Interior has issued a certificate denying that such a report exists or that there could be any judicial or police investigation agains Kokorev or members of his family.
According to Kokorev’s lawyer in Moscow, Kirill Yaschenkov it is “absurd” that Obiang would launder money via Kokorev in Spain to acquire a modest 90m2 apartment in Las Palmas, of Gran Canaria.
Kokorov’s lawyer has likened the case to certain recent discrepancies uncovered in British newspapers over the last year.
He said: “to destroy the reputation of innocent people, whether to sell more newspapers or to advance the interests of a certain political or business agenda, does not constitute a legitimate exercise of the right to information or of the freedom of speech, not in Russia, not in the UK and not in Spain”.
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00
- Incredible 20 Michelin starred chefs – with 40 stars between them – to descend on Marbella - 16 Mar, 2018 @ 17:00