- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
Gas men overcharge expats
• Man checks boiler
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
By Kathryn Richardson
EXPATS in the Serrania de Ronda region are being warned against gas men overcharging them.
British expat, Lawrence George, 47, was visited by a gas man to inspect his boiler.
After checking his ID Mr George let the man in and called the company to confirm the visit.
He was told he needed three regulators and three tubing pieces replaced at a cost of €242.
Although suspicious of the price, Mr George paid the man in cash, was given a receipt, and told the man would return with his €3 change.
He never saw him again.
Mr George said: “I felt taken advantage of particularly when he didn’t bring me my change”.
Mr George, along with his wife Lucy, later visited the police but were told nothing illegal had taken place.
Reports of expats being overcharged for services because they do not fully understand Spanish have become common in the region.
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]
Latest news from the Olive Press...
Take a look at the five most-read stories on the Olive Press website this week…