- OP Xtreme
- Business & Finance
- Crime & Law
- Food Drink
- News Features
- Insurance Doctor
- Jack Gaioni
- Legal Issues
- Loud and Clear
- Market Mumbles
- Mistress of Sizzle
- Property Insider
- Road to Riches
- Eating Out
- Andalucia Property Search
- Green Guide Spain
- SITE INFO
- Data Protection
Spanish hostages released after 21 months in Somalia
Do you have news for us?
Click to contact the newsdesk!
TWO Spanish hostages have just been released after being held in Somalia for a year and nine months.
Montserrat Serra and Blanca Thiebaut are aid workers with the non-profit organization Doctors Without Borders (MSF).
The two women were held hostage for longer than any other Spanish aid worker in recent years.
They were kidnapped on October 13, 2011 in Dadaab, Kenya, while helping plan the construction of a primary care hospital near the Ifo refugee camp.
They were driving in a chauffeured car near Dadaab when they were attacked by a group of armed men.
Because the attackers were common criminals, and not associated with any terrorist group, negotiations for the release of the women fell to Doctors With Borders, who refused to pay the ransom set by mediators.
According to a MSF press release, “both humanitarian workers are in good health and anxious to be reunited with their loved ones as soon as possible.”
Reader Comments »
The views expressed in the comments above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Olive Press.
Messages will be moderated or deleted if they:
• Are considered likely to disrupt, provoke, attack or offend others
• Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, abusive or otherwise objectionable
• Contain swear words or other language likely to offend
• Break the law or condone or encourage unlawful activity. This includes breach of copyright, defamation and contempt of court
• Advertise products or services for profit or gain
• Are seen to impersonate someone else
• Include contact details such as phone numbers, postal or email addresses
• Describe or encourage activities which could endanger the safety or well-being of others
• If you have a complaint about a comment please email [email protected]