A NEWLY formed square named in honour of Margaret Thatcher has been vandalised less than 24 hours after it was unveiled in Madrid.
Stickers lambasting The Sun newspaper’s role in the Hillsborough disaster have been plastered across the Plaza de Margaret Thatcher.
Liverpool residents have, since 1989, laid blame for the footballing tragedy in which 96 people died at the feet of local police, the government of the day, and The Sun newspaper.
The Sun is still not welcomed on Merseyside and has not been stocked since publishing an article accusing Liverpool fans of urinating on police and pickpocketing the injured at the footballing disaster.
Mrs Thatcher, the prime minister at the time, was accused of wrongly backing the police against protesters and deceased fans’ families.
The former British prime minister’s son Sir Mark Thatcher attended the unveiling of the Plaza – the first in Spain to be named after an international female politician – in the upmarket Salamanca area of the capital.
Madrid is already home to streets and squares honouring Dwight Eisenhower, Salvador Allende, Nelson Mandela and Yitzhak Rabin.
Curiously it the second place in Madrid to bear Thatcher’s name – a public school in the Barajas district was named after her last year.
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36