SUPERMAN’S super-speed might put him at a distinct advantage as he competes in the Rock Run this month.
British actor Henry Cavill, who starred as Superman in the 2013 film Man of Steel, will run alongside his Royal Marine brother for the military group’s 350th anniversary celebrations.
Cavill, who is currently working on two Superman spin-off films, is also ambassador for the Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund.
He has said he is ‘honoured’ to be a part of the weekend’s celebrations, with the run taking place on October 25.
“I will remember this day fondly and probably with a little bit of physical discomfort, which only seems fitting considering what this day represents,” he added.
Lieutenant Colonel Nik Cavill, the actor’s brother, will also take part in the 5km uphill climb, accompanied by 40 other competitors.
Event organiser Alan Hardy said he is ‘delighted’ that Cavill is joining in the celebrations and hopes the British actor enjoys ‘what Gibraltar has to offer’.
“Gibraltar will always hold a special place in Royal Marines history,” he said. “We have organised a fantastic weekend of fun and celebrations for participants and the locals of Gibraltar.”
Other planned celebrations over the weekend include a gala cocktail reception hosted by Lieutenant General James Dutton and a Royal Marines band concert in St Michael’s Cave.
Lieutenant General Dutton said: “I am delighted to be able to endorse this event, which in raising funds for the Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund underpins the status, history, and importance of Gibraltar’s unique relationship with the Royal Marines.
“To hold the event on the 350th anniversary of the birth of the Royal Marine Corps, which carries Gibraltar as its principal battle honour, is indeed special.”
- Police uncover 36 Egyptian artefacts in Valencia - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 12:00
- Zara boss buys iconic building on Madrid’s Gran Via - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 11:00
- Huge sports complex to open in Sabinillas - 1 Feb, 2015 @ 08:00
- Expat searches for ‘perfect home’ for Costa del Sol turtle - 31 Jan, 2015 @ 11:00
- ‘Tolkien universe’ theme park to open in Rincon de la Victoria - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 17:24
- IMF raises Spain’s growth forecast saying it has entered a ‘virtous circle’ - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- Organic success in Marbella - 30 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00
- European Central Bank to buy 10% of Spain’s public debt - 29 Jan, 2015 @ 18:09
- WikiLeaks threaten legal action after Google hand over journalist email data to US government - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 13:47
- Swans talent show stuns audience - 28 Jan, 2015 @ 08:00