A BRITISH expat has launched a project to clean up the ‘layer of filth’ on Almeria’s Tabernas desert.
Julian Phillips, 46, from Essex, says the region has become increasingly popular for tourists and filmmakers but its future is being undermined by an increase in fly-tipping and littering.
“All the beauty is being hidden beneath a layer of filth,” he told the Olive Press, “from household refuse and rubble to unwanted electrical goods and dead animals in plastic bags.”
Phillips is hoping to raise awareness and get more local support for the campaign.
“It’s frustrating to see the lack of respect for nature shown by the locals,” he added, “and there has been a lack of action from the Town Hall too, who have not replied to any of my messages.”
Phillips has created a Facebook page and arranged the first volunteer-led clean up for October 16.
Volunteers will meet in the car park of the sports centre in Tabernas at 10am.
“We are looking for anyone who is willing to help out, if they have tools, a 4×4 or van, a trailer all the better,” said Phillips.
To be involved contact Julian Phillips on 666820257.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16