NEW figures have shown that Spain has the second-highest life expectancy in the world after Japan.
Newly released figures by the OECD have shown the country has more than 100,000 people aged over 100.
Average life expectancy in Spain is now 83.2, just 0.2 years lower than Japan’s 83.4.
Experts cite the country’s healthy Mediterranean diet which includes high amounts fish, fruit and vegetables.
The warmer climate is also attributed to better health.
Photographer Andrea Comas recently interviewed a handful of the centenarians to ask them what their secrets to longevity were.
The tips ranged from a spoonful of honey a day to regular intake of gazpacho, a traditional cold Spanish soup made from tomatoes and cucumber
Maria Josefa Guillen, 103, from Sevilla, (pictured above), swears by the soup, claiming its nutritional value has kept her young.
Francisco Nunez, 112, from Badajoz, says he dislikes old peoples’ homes as they are ‘full of old people’, and says maintaining a youthful outlook on life is the secret to staying young.
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23
- SHAMEFUL: Spain loses €90 BILLION per year due to corruption while UK among LEAST corrupt in EU, study reveals - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 14:59
- Leading Irish Kinahan mafia member falls to death from Marbella hotel in ‘accident’ - 9 Dec, 2018 @ 16:08
- Spain’s Mallorca must ‘turn away from British market’ to survive no-deal Brexit, business leaders warn - 7 Dec, 2018 @ 13:40
- Bullfighting ‘returning to Marbella’ despite being BANNED three years ago - 6 Dec, 2018 @ 17:25
- Rise of the right in Spain’s Andalucia could make life for British expats more difficult, expert warns - 3 Dec, 2018 @ 16:16