NEW figures have shown that Spain has the second-highest life expectancy in the world after Japan.
Newly released figures by the OECD have shown the country has more than 100,000 people aged over 100.
Average life expectancy in Spain is now 83.2, just 0.2 years lower than Japan’s 83.4.
Experts cite the country’s healthy Mediterranean diet which includes high amounts fish, fruit and vegetables.
The warmer climate is also attributed to better health.
Photographer Andrea Comas recently interviewed a handful of the centenarians to ask them what their secrets to longevity were.
The tips ranged from a spoonful of honey a day to regular intake of gazpacho, a traditional cold Spanish soup made from tomatoes and cucumber
Maria Josefa Guillen, 103, from Sevilla, (pictured above), swears by the soup, claiming its nutritional value has kept her young.
Francisco Nunez, 112, from Badajoz, says he dislikes old peoples’ homes as they are ‘full of old people’, and says maintaining a youthful outlook on life is the secret to staying young.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22