NEW figures have shown that Spain has the second-highest life expectancy in the world after Japan.
Newly released figures by the OECD have shown the country has more than 100,000 people aged over 100.
Average life expectancy in Spain is now 83.2, just 0.2 years lower than Japan’s 83.4.
Experts cite the country’s healthy Mediterranean diet which includes high amounts fish, fruit and vegetables.
The warmer climate is also attributed to better health.
Photographer Andrea Comas recently interviewed a handful of the centenarians to ask them what their secrets to longevity were.
The tips ranged from a spoonful of honey a day to regular intake of gazpacho, a traditional cold Spanish soup made from tomatoes and cucumber
Maria Josefa Guillen, 103, from Sevilla, (pictured above), swears by the soup, claiming its nutritional value has kept her young.
Francisco Nunez, 112, from Badajoz, says he dislikes old peoples’ homes as they are ‘full of old people’, and says maintaining a youthful outlook on life is the secret to staying young.
- ‘WE’RE BEING POISONED’: Video of ship billowing black fumes ‘onto people’s homes’ outrages Gibraltar residents - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:43
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04