According to the national lifeguard federation, 481 met their deaths in Spanish seas last year, a 10% rise on 2016.
Some 2,487 people had to be rescued after getting into trouble in Spanish waters.
The figures do not include migrants who died off the coast of Spain, but focus on incidents that took place on beaches, lakes and at swimming pools across mainland Spain and the Canary and Balearic Islands.
Most drownings occurred in peak summer season in July and August.
The Canary Islands had the most deaths, with 93, followed by Andalucia with 74.
Valencia had 67, Galicia 58, Catalunya 44 and the Balearics 28.
Those most at risk of drowning are men over the age of 35 who choose to swim at a beach where there are no lifeguards present, the report found.
Some 80% of those that died were male, 73% were Spanish, 71.9% were over 35 years-old and that more than half of drownings occurred at a beach (52 percent) and 90% of them when there was no lifeguard present.
- SCAM ALERT: Pensioners claim British conwoman tried to coax them from bus stop into ‘fake shuttle’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 16:22
- WATCH: Terrifying moment HUGE spitting COBRA acosts workers at port in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 14:54
- WATCH: Vile video shows SEWAGE flowing onto popular beach in southern Spain - 18 Jan, 2019 @ 13:47
- Little Julen and family pictured amid reports rescuers have found DNA - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:38
- Police in Spain rescue young man attempting to jump off Ronda bridge - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 14:15
- Police confirm little Julen IS inside the Malaga well after DNA found on fourth day of search - 16 Jan, 2019 @ 12:59
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15