THE Costa del Sol has officially set a new tourism record, new figures have revealed.
The holiday hotspot received 12.5 million international tourists last year, 6.42% than 2016.
It also bucked the trend when it comes to national tourists, receiving 5.1 million last year, 4% more than last year.
The domestic market alone brought €4.3 billion and 52,813 jobs to the Costa del Sol last year.
Overall the region raked in €13.8 billion in 2017, a 9.5% increase on the year before.
The tourism sector employed 8.8% more people than in 2016, with 111,172 finding work last year.
“With these figures there is no doubt that the main international markets are clearly betting on the Costa del Sol,” said Costa del Sol tourism boss Elias Bendodo.
Passengers from the top 20 countries visiting Malaga have also grown, especially Holland and Sweden, which have grown a lot, and also Italy and Denmark, which have seen ‘significant growth’, according to Bendodo..
The president added that 2018 is set to break all records again with an increase in tourism of 2.5% forecast for the first quarter.
- ‘He loves his tricycle’: Neighbours describe ‘friendly’ toddler Julen and his family’s history of heartbreak as search for tot in Malaga well continues - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 19:35
- Drilling expert claims it’s ‘almost impossible’ for little Julen to have fallen down Malaga well as builder claims he sealed up hole just WEEKS ago - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 18:15
- HEART-WRENCHING: Parents of trapped boy have slept next to Malaga well since Sunday and are ‘dead inside’ as rescue attempt enters THIRD day - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 14:22
- WATCH: ISIS terrorist cuffed in popular British expat hotspot on Spain’s Costa del Sol was ‘ready to attack’ after taking deadly oath - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 13:15
- British expats in Spain should get Spanish driving licences ASAP, UK government Brexit memo warns - 15 Jan, 2019 @ 11:50
- Fears grow for boy, 2, trapped down Malaga well for over 18 hours as desperate rescue attempt continues - 14 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- WATCH: Two fuming drivers stop cars to BRAWL among traffic on Marbella’s Golden Mile - 11 Jan, 2019 @ 17:15
- WATCH: Dolphins’ fins MUTILATED by boats and fishing nets as BBC series filmed off coast of southern Spain reveals their numbers have HALVED - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 12:50
- British favourite Primark WILL be able to open in Marbella after five year battle - 9 Jan, 2019 @ 11:53
- Earthquake rocks residents in Spain’s Andalucia - 8 Jan, 2019 @ 17:03