A JETSKI record breaker has called in police after his latest attempt was almost ruined by thieves in southern Spain.
Marinus du Plessis (below) was travelling from the Arctic to Athens to perform the longest-ever journey made on a jetski in 40 days.
But the South African, 55, had to cut his 11,000km Guiness World Record attempt short after thieves in Barbate, Cadiz, stripped down his jetski for parts while it was docked overnight.
“I’m so disappointed with what happened here,” Plessis, a food exporter, told the Olive Press, “Criminals took so many bits off it, it half sunk.
He continued: “My security alarm went off at 3am but by the time I got to it the equipment was all stolen.
“To make matters worse they returned the next night to strip down the rest.”
Plessis was making the epic journey on behalf of Gift of the Givers Foundation – a charity for disabled people in South Africa.
He still managed to beat the previous record by more than 4,000km.
He first broke a world record by jet skiing 17,500km from Alaska to Panama in under 95 days.
Plessis stressed that he hasn’t let the unfortunate event put a downer on his experience.
“Although I was very disappointed in what happened I also had the most fantastic experience with the locals,” he said. “Most locals in Barbate were fabulous.”
He added: “This mission was about more than breaking records. It was a matter of experience, and it has exceeded all expectations.”
Police are analysing CCTV footage to try and identify the thieves.
- Construction giant to build 700 homes in Mijas in €23 million investment - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 20:37
- British expat pensioners from southern Spain caged AGAIN after allegedly trying to smuggle €2 million cocaine haul on cruise ship - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 19:31
- POLL SHOCKER: Far-right Vox party could form government if Spain held general election tomorrow - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 16:04
- Spain accused of breaching maritime laws after shadowing British nuclear submarine as it left Gibraltar on secret mission - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:57
- Spain and UK to push through reciprocal deal for expat voting rights before Brexit - 17 Dec, 2018 @ 12:36
- REVEALED: What’s really behind the surge in ‘narco terrorism’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol as record €100 million cash and 40 tonnes of drugs seized - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 15:36
- COLD FRONT: Yellow weather warning for strong winds in Malaga TOMORROW while snow predicted across Spain - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 12:30
- PEED OFF: Dog walkers on Costa del Sol to be FINED for not cleaning up pet’s urine in new crackdown - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 11:55
- WARNING: Police in Spain ramping up roadside alcohol and drug checkpoints THIS WEEK - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 18:02
- WATCH: Truck DESTROYS archway entry of urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 10 Dec, 2018 @ 16:23