THE bombs detonated in Marbella and Benahavis yesterday are believed to be a revenge attack in the Costa del Sol’s escalating drug gang warfare.
On Wednesday at 1am a car bomb went off outside a villa at a gated community in Mirador de la Alqueria, Benahavis.
Moments later another explosive device was detonated in neighbouring San Pedro outside a car wash on an industrial estate.
The owner of the car wash is the same man who lives in the villa, where the burnt out shell of a BMW used in the attack was found.
Dramatic images at the scene of the warehouse blast show doors ripped apart and windows shattered.
No one was injured in the attack and so far no arrests have been made, though police believe the attacks are a case of ‘score settling’ between gangs.
The man targeted is believed to have snitched on perpetrators for the previous torching of a gym near to the car wash, which targeted drug lord ‘Maradona’.
So far no arrests have been made, but a police spokesman said: “National Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding an explosion at a warehouse on an industrial estate in San Pedro in the municipality of Marbella.
“The possibility of a gangland-style attack has not been ruled out. The possible links between this explosion and another at almost the same time, near a house belonging to the owner of the warehouse that was targeted, are being investigated.”
The blasts come amid a spate of gang-related violence that has plagued Spain’s Costa del Sol in recent times.
In an Estepona shooting this month, first reported on by the Olive Press, a gypsy drug dealer wound up dead and fingerless in Algeciras, after being bundled into a car by a rival drug gang.
Last month in Cancelada a British man opened fire on police before they gunned him down in broad daylight.
- Knifeman attacks and robs retired British expat at his own home in Spain’s Andalucia leaving him hospitalised - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:09
- Hospitalised British cyclist Chris Froome could be awarded 2011 Vuelta a Espana title after Spanish champion caught doping - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:32
- Europe’s largest Lego exhibition arrives on Costa del Sol with models of Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avengers and more - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 13:38
- ‘NEVER SEEN BEFORE’: Gibraltar police amazed at attempt by three men to smuggle 1.5 tonnes of hash worth £6 million - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:20
- Mum on holiday in Spain kills only son by accidentally running him over in car park - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 13:40
- REVEALED: Two NEW skyscrapers will be tallest on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 12 Jun, 2019 @ 12:48
- Pensioner holidaying on Costa del Sol drowns in front of his wife - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 11:01
- ‘Widespread’ increase in ocean plastic on Costa del Sol with ‘strikingly’ high microplastic levels in Malaga - 6 Jun, 2019 @ 10:27
- Costa del Sol toll charges to be scrapped THIS YEAR - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 18:58
- Spain’s Supreme Court blocks reburial of General Franco just days before body due to be dug up - 5 Jun, 2019 @ 17:49