THE bombs detonated in Marbella and Benahavis yesterday are believed to be a revenge attack in the Costa del Sol’s escalating drug gang warfare.
On Wednesday at 1am a car bomb went off outside a villa at a gated community in Mirador de la Alqueria, Benahavis.
Moments later another explosive device was detonated in neighbouring San Pedro outside a car wash on an industrial estate.
The owner of the car wash is the same man who lives in the villa, where the burnt out shell of a BMW used in the attack was found.
Dramatic images at the scene of the warehouse blast show doors ripped apart and windows shattered.
No one was injured in the attack and so far no arrests have been made, though police believe the attacks are a case of ‘score settling’ between gangs.
The man targeted is believed to have snitched on perpetrators for the previous torching of a gym near to the car wash, which targeted drug lord ‘Maradona’.
So far no arrests have been made, but a police spokesman said: “National Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding an explosion at a warehouse on an industrial estate in San Pedro in the municipality of Marbella.
“The possibility of a gangland-style attack has not been ruled out. The possible links between this explosion and another at almost the same time, near a house belonging to the owner of the warehouse that was targeted, are being investigated.”
The blasts come amid a spate of gang-related violence that has plagued Spain’s Costa del Sol in recent times.
In an Estepona shooting this month, first reported on by the Olive Press, a gypsy drug dealer wound up dead and fingerless in Algeciras, after being bundled into a car by a rival drug gang.
Last month in Cancelada a British man opened fire on police before they gunned him down in broad daylight.
- British comedy legend Jason Manford to perform in Gibraltar THIS SUMMER for first time ever - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 18:53
- WATCH: Netflix trailer for NEW natural history series narrated by Spain’s Penelope Cruz and David Attenborough - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 12:12
- British woman in Spain arrested over murder of homeless Romanian man with no legs who was strangled and set on fire - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 10:40
- WINDY WEATHER: Parts of Costa del Sol to be battered by gusts of over 70km/h THIS WEEKEND - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 11:03
- ‘HE WAS ALWAYS SMILING’: British baby boy dies suddenly at airport in Spain as family caught flight home from holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 10:28
- British parents reveal son, 6, suffers deafness and rare diabetes after his face was paralysed when arcade machine fell on him on Spain holiday - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 09:43
- WATCH: Matador in Spain flung in air by bull and gored in buttocks before being rushed to hospital for surgery - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 10:33
- GIBRALTAR VS IRELAND: Fan zone, time, TV and everything else you need to know for Euro 2020 qualifier THIS WEEKEND - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 13:26
- Around 100 British expats in Spain flying to London for huge Brexit protest THIS SATURDAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:06
- Gibraltarians FUMING after Ronnie O’Sullivan says he’d rather ‘sleep in pig sty’ than play snooker in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:11