A JETSKI record breaker has called in police after his latest attempt was almost ruined by thieves in southern Spain.
Marinus du Plessis (below) was travelling from the Arctic to Athens to perform the longest-ever journey made on a jetski in 40 days.
But the South African, 55, had to cut his 11,000km Guiness World Record attempt short after thieves in Barbate, Cadiz, stripped down his jetski for parts while it was docked overnight.
“I’m so disappointed with what happened here,” Plessis, a food exporter, told the Olive Press, “Criminals took so many bits off it, it half sunk.
He continued: “My security alarm went off at 3am but by the time I got to it the equipment was all stolen.
“To make matters worse they returned the next night to strip down the rest.”
Plessis was making the epic journey on behalf of Gift of the Givers Foundation – a charity for disabled people in South Africa.
He still managed to beat the previous record by more than 4,000km.
He first broke a world record by jet skiing 17,500km from Alaska to Panama in under 95 days.
Plessis stressed that he hasn’t let the unfortunate event put a downer on his experience.
“Although I was very disappointed in what happened I also had the most fantastic experience with the locals,” he said. “Most locals in Barbate were fabulous.”
He added: “This mission was about more than breaking records. It was a matter of experience, and it has exceeded all expectations.”
Police are analysing CCTV footage to try and identify the thieves.
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23
- Warnings as woman almost DIES in Spain after suffering huge allergic reaction to partner’s sperm in WORLD FIRST - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 17:36