FOR many years it was the quality of Spanish wine that was renowned throughout the world.
Slowly though, it is becoming as well known for its bodegas.
It began with Canadian architect Frank Gehry (left) in 2007, when he designed the flagship Vineyard Hotel within the Marqués de Riscal winery in Elciego.
He was aiming to represent the uncorking of a bottle of wine with his design made out of coloured metals.
There has been a boom as international architects implant their artistic visions across the Spanish countryside.
Most recently Pritzker prize-winning architect, UK-based Zaha Hadid, installed a tasting room/shop at the López de Heredia Viña Tondonia vineyard.
A softer, more subtle approach was undertaken by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava at the Ysios winery.
His wave-like design for the warehouse of the bodega manages to create a breathtaking spectacle, which is now attracting visitors from across the globe.
At the vineyard Hacienda Zorita in Ribero del Duero, architect José María Pérez has incorporated an upside down hull of a boat in the bodega’s design in commemoration of the time Columbus once spent there.
Meanwhile Lord Rogers – he of the famous London gherkin – has designed a new building for Bodegas Protos in the Ribera del Duero region.
In an attempt to balance the unique taste of the wines and a visual experience, the collaboration between wineries and modern architects is a new direction that has so far proved successful.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27