MORE than half of Spain´s electricity was generated by wind turbines for several hours this weekend – equivalent to the output of eleven nuclear plants.
The national record – set only days earlier – was blown away thanks to the high winds that swept across the country.
For some five hours on Sunday morning, wind farms were producing 11.5 gigawatts of energy – 53 per cent of the country’s total output.
Just five years ago, critics warned that the Spanish grid could not support more than 14 per cent of its supply being generated by wind turbines.
However, last weekend the huge boom meant that the national grid had an excess of supply.
“We think that we can keep growing and go from the present 17GW megawatts to reach 40GW in 2020,” Jose Donaso, head of the Spanish Wind Energy Association, told El Pais newspaper.
It is estimated that a quarter of all energy produced in Spain is renewable, with wind topping the list, followed by hydroelectric power and solar energy.
The country is home to the world’s third largest quantity of wind farms, behind the United States and Germany.
The record-breaking feat comes as the UK government approves ten sites in England and Wales for the construction of new nuclear power stations.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27