AROUND two dozen animal charities have met up for the first time to air their problems and seek solutions.
The group of rescue centres, refuges and independent animal carers met to discuss mutual needs and the numerous issues they face.
One cat carer from Snip-a-Stray, in Mojacar, told how she sometimes has to hide cat traps from the police, as trapping cats is an offence in Almeria.
Another representative from Mascotas de Priego, from Priego de Cordoba, told how his success lay in obtaining support from the town hall.
He explained to the the mayor that it costs less to support the rescue of a dog than it does to destroy it!
David McNally of ADANA, revealed that he needs ‘break-in skills’ as pets are frequently found locked up in houses by their departing owners, usually English, who have returned to the UK.
Pauline Warner of Kim’s Animal Rescue, in Valle de Abdalajais, said that her charity was not allowed to keep more than six rescue dogs in the house without obtaining a zoological licence.
Organised by Pepi’s Refuge, in conjunction with CHAIN, delegates came from all over Andalucia, including Estepona and Almeria.
The delegates agreed that raising awareness about the plight of animals was a pressing priority. This wasfurther stressed by Paul Svendsen from the Fuente de Piedra Donkey Sanctuary, which has been successful in making a visit to the sanctuary a memorable and enjoyable experience for the public.
The meeting concluded with the groups agreeing to work closer together in the future.
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00